Friday, February 4, 2011

Knitting for all ages







An amazing thing has happened in the Jessup household. I am the proud mother of four children, 3 girls and 1 boy. Ben is the youngest of the 4 by six years and luckily a wonderfully independent young man who loves his sisters but is definitely not ruled by them. He is an athletic boy who currently plays soccer, basketball and lacrosse. He is involved in some type of sports every afternoon after school and when not participating on a team, he is usually shooting baskets outside, jumping on the trampoline or skateboarding in the driveway.






Recently, his 5th grade class has learned to knit as part of their community service project and their art class. The children are learning to make "beanies" for the preemies born at the local hospital.






Ben has found that he LOVES to knit. In fact, as I write this, he is watching a movie and knitting. He likes it so much that on a recent outing for a family dinner, Ben brought along his knitting and quite happily pulled it out as he was waiting for his dinner to arrive. Later that evening, as I went upstairs to say goodnight, I found him sitting in the middle of his bed knitting. His comment to me was, "Mom, I really like knitting. It calms me down so much. Mom, I think I will knit every night before I go to bed!"






He enjoys it so much, he now has his school project and his home project. The school project, a beanie made from alpaca, will be worn by some lucky baby some time in the near future. The home project is a scarf that I have now learned is for his mother (me!) and he is very, very proud of it!






I can't begin to tell you how happy this makes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment